Thursday, 7 February 2013

Digital pass subscriptions and computer software updates

I'm thinking of purchasing a subscription to The Australian as they are currently running a discount promotion for their digital pass.

I wish I could subscribe to newspapers and have them delivered at my door but my neighbours are pretty nasty people so Mum's a bit concerned that the neighbours will see my newspaper, have the impulsive desire to understand the world that doesn't revolve around them and steal the newspaper. So I'm thinking of the digital pass. Since The Australian website itself provides free access to their articles, I'm still undecided. I'll probably look into it later.

Ugh I hate it when computers ask you to restart to install an update. And when you don't, they will pop up, saying "Oh you wanna do later? How later? In ten minutes? Ten hours? Ten -"
"Ten ho-"
"WHAT, DID YOU SAY NOW? OK I'LL RESTART NOW"
"No. Nononono I meant ten hou-"
"SHUTTING DOWN EVARAYTHANG"
"TEN HOURS. I chose ten hours!!"
"SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR 99% OF YOUR 300 HOURS LONG DOWNLOAD"
"...I hate you."
"Don't worry, there are only 17 updates to install. Don't plug me out or shut me down, 'kay? "

Half a decade later,
"13 of 17 updates installed succesfully."

When they have all been installed, I get the impression that my computer has all new and updated gadgets and functions. I expect my one of my 17 updates to be giving my computer the ability to fold into a transformer. But no. They're all just miniscule "security" updates. Sorry, 'miniscule' isn't the right term for an update that takes longer than hour to install. But the description does apply to its effect on PCs as a whole (Oh I can see the IT peeps sharpening their cleavers and wrapping their fists in ethernet cables..). I think the more appropriate word is 'pesky'.



No comments:

Post a Comment