Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Clubs Day at Uni wooo

This morning, I got a call from a construction law firm for an interview. We arranged to have it at 5:30pm in the city. The lawyer on the phone had a strange request though, she asked me to bring in something that represents my hobbies or what I am passionate about. It intrigued me because in the past when I was asked questions about my hobbies, I had to list my interests as if it was on my groceries list for the weekend. By asking a visual representation of what kind of person I am, it definitely gives the impression that the employer doesn't just want to know about my qualifications and extra curricular activities, he or she wants to know me, Lily.

So I gave it some thought and decided on bringing my three sketchbooks. I would have also brought my ukulele but I decided not to because I don't have a case for the uke yet and I don't want my baby damaged when in contact with the air outside haha. 

I realised that UTS Clubs Day was on and thought 'Well my interview is at 5:30, I guess I have time to visit UTS'.

I picked up my ultrasound images as well before I left for the train.

At UTS, I joined the Drawing Circle, UTS Nerd Fighters and Student Outreach to the World (SOW). I am also thinking of joining the Catholic Asian Students' Society (CASS). CASS and SOW are religious societies. It's ironic that although I am an Atheist, I was more attracted to those two societies than the Atheist society. My mum joked that I was a wolf disguised in sheepskin but I do respect all religions. I think being in those two societies will help me understand Catholicism and Christianity from another perspective. Drawing Circle and Nerd Fighters are clubs that appeal to my interests. Nerd Fighters had a raffle and their third prize was a Tardis keychain. Ugh I wish I had won that raffle but oh well, no harm done.

I wish I had joined the UN society. 

My 5:30pm interview was pretty casual and not at all what I had expected. The lawyer who interviewed me seemed a bit worn out while she was explaining to me what the job entails. I talked about my studies and presented my sketchbooks. I was overjoyed when she liked my sketches. Of course, I wasn't applying for a graphics designer job but I was still pleased she took an interest in my hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment